Amazon Keyword research
Before you can start optimising Amazon product page content, you should identify the most relevant keywords and phrases.
There are a number of keyword tools available, some offer an initial free trial:
*I use a monthly subscription to Merchant words.
NB: When creating an account, do not forget to select the correct country(ies) for your Amazon store(s).
Another good starting point for your research is to search for relevant keywords in the Amazon website category you are selling into. The suggested drop-down search results indicate popular search terms and can be used as ideas for further research.
If you have enough budget available, you may also want to invest in some competitor research data from a tool like JungleScout.
Selecting keywords & phrases
The goal is to select keywords & phrases that customers are using to search for, find, then purchase your products.
- Build a list of keywords;
- Take search volume into account.
Create a list of relevant Long-tail keywords and phrases (eg: “pet-resistant long grey modular sofa suite with chaise“,”stain-resistant Acme black velvet twin seat sofa 2+1“, ), Mid-funnel (eg: “grey modular sofa suite“, “black velvet twin seat sofa“) and Broad keywords (eg: “sofa“, “chesterfield“).
Just as with Google paid advertising, the broader keywords are usually more expensive than the less-used, but better converting, long-tail keywords. The goal is to find a balance of Broad and Long-tail.
Can I use Google SEO keywords & phrases?
Customers use slightly different search terms in Amazon search, to those used in Google. Google’s algorithm is focused on selling advertising (research-based keywords), Amazon’s (A9 algorithm) is focused on selling products (purchase-based keywords). So, SEO for Amazon has a greater focus on shorter key terms, Amazon also has a greater tolerance for keyword repetition, which Google penalises.
Product page content
Titles should be at least 60 characters long . Remember to:
- Capitalise the first letter of every word;
- Use numbers (e.g. 6 rather than six);
- Don’t use phrases like “best seller” or “free shipping”;
- Available variants.
Product titles should be constructed from individually popular keywords, which can be searched for. eg:
“Acme Comfy Velvet 2 Seater Sofa 2 Tub Chair/Sofa Seating Double Couch Lounge Living Room Furniture (Fuchsia)“
- Brand: “Acme”
- Product line: “Couch Sofa”
- Material or key feature: “Velvet”
- Product Type: “2 Seater”
- Colour: “Fuschia”
- Size: “2 Seater 2 Tub”
- Packaging/Quantity: Not relevant in this case.
Another way to breakdown that Product title is:
- Generic: “Couch Sofa”;
- Category: “Lounge Living Room Furniture”;
- Brand: “Acme”;
- Product specifics: “2 Tub Chair/Sofa Seating Double Couch Fuschia”.
Customers use bullet point to skim read product pages. A potential customer can take up to 15-20 seconds to make a purchase decision. So, the goal is to fully describe the product in very short sentences. Lead with the strongest bullet point; the most important factual product information. For example:
- Product dimensions: “2 Seater Sofa: 140 x 90 x 85cm (WxDxH), height from floor to seat is 48cm. Sofa-In-A-Box.”
- Key features: “A double couch in soft velvet fabric. Seat cushions filled with high resilience foam, providing comfortable support, quickly regaining their shape when you get up.“
Other important considerations:
- Avoid keyword stuffing;
- Help the customer understand the product and it’s key features;
- Don’t state the obvious;
- Amazon only allows 5 bullet points.
- A bullet point can contain up to 500 characters, but you should look to keep them short and punchy, as you want them to be read.
Amazon’s formal Seller Central Product image requirements can be seen here. The following list provides tips for improving your product images further.
- All product angles;
- A person using the product;
- Different colour/size product options (if the product is a multi-variant);
- Use a consistent style, at least at the brand level;
- Use a professional product photographer;
- Ensure you use an image of the exact product;
- Do not add text to the Main image;
- The main hero image must be visible on a mobile device;
- If the product has a box, make sure you show it;
- Who any key features;
- Include any lifestyle imagery you have;
- Ensure clear, good quality images;
Why use an Amazon product listing SEO service?
The Amazon A9 algorithm determines results for customer product searches using the Amazon search engine. A list of factors determine how the algorithm sees your products, these factors include:
- Product title, bullet points, description, hidden keywords and phrases;
- Product image quality;
- Product reviews;
- Sales history / Best Seller Ranking (BSR) / Sales Velocity;
- Referred external traffic;
- Product availability;
- Order defect and return rate;
- A+ content;
- Questions answered;
- Fulfilment method (FBA vs FBM).